Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Feminism. Not politics.

It's high time I wrote this post.

Here's the deal. I'm a feminist. Now, you may know that I tend to keep my political opinions and ideas to myself because I am old-fashioned like that. But here is the thing. In my mind, feminism isn't about politics. Feminism is about opportunities, understanding one another, and actually listening to one another without expectations or preconceived notions (which I know is very difficult). Now, yes, these ideas are coming right around the time of the great pants debate, but it has been a long time in the making. However, since it has come at such a timely...time, there are a plethora of articles I can simply provide you. Because lots of people are saying lots of things that are exponentially more intelligent and studied than what I could say.  SO without further ado.

This is one of my old professors (Valerie Hudson, who I love) who said she thinks everyone is a little bit feminist (especially those of the LDS faith), because it's just about believing that women are capable beings who should be considered with equal weight to men. (Consequently she has done a lot of research on gender in international security and economy, and has written a couple of books on women that I am dying to read, Women in Eternity, Women in Zion, and Sex and World Peace. She is also one of the only people who has been able to say something comforting about polygamy

I am a Mormon Because I am a Feminist



This article I found on Facebook and must say I am super grateful for it. Seeing some of the bile focused against feminism in my Facebook feed in the last few days has been kind of difficult for me. Because it feels like I am being personally attacked even though the people posting the bile haven't actually taken the time to listen to my viewpoints at all. Which, to be honest, I think my viewpoints are fairly moderate. Thought obvs I am biased. But there are different kinds of feminists, and just like "liberals", "conservatives", "Americans", and so on, there are differences. No one likes being stereotyped and told what they think.

Do Some Women Hate Feminism?



This last link may not seem to do with feminism at first, but it discusses something that I think has a lot to do with female empowerment and understanding. And it ends with some interesting ideas that give common sense ideas for different female participation in ward leadership which I think could be very useful for everyone involved. As the title says, it is about chastity, so if you're uncomfortable talking or reading about sexual intimacy, probably not the article for you right now.

13 Articles of Healthy Chastity




In my life and in my personal experience, being feminist is about seeing the difference between cultural norms and doctrinal truths. It's about really listening to each other, and about really listening to yourself and living that way instead of living only in accordance with what is done just because that's the way it is.  And of course, listening to God, always. It's about learning to respect the decisions and opinions of women even though they may seem "shocking".

If you have any other articles, on either side of the argument (though to be honest I have a difficult time getting through anything that doesn't have a moderate feel to it) I would love to read it!

1 comment:

Shiree said...

I like the 13 articles of chastity article for the most part. What I kept thinking, though, was that much of the problem really is that parents are relying on others to teach their children. What my kids learn at church will hopefully be a very small part of the sex education they receive in my home. I honestly don't know exactly how to go about it, but I think we are making a good start. I am really looking forward to seeing the new youth curriculum it is BADLY outdated.