Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Campus Entertainment: So many tickets

There are a bazillion things to do on campus. The ones I like usually require tickets and happen in the HFAC. Or are Divine Comedy related. 

For someone who grew up singing and maybe having some of the BYU Singers CD's memorized, I went to surprisingly few (2) Singers/choir concerts. One for Valentines Day (remember? The best holiday ever?) and a free one with my BFF who is now married and so by definition is now someone else's BFF, Jacob Hunsaker. 

At first most of the things I went to were because of Humanities 101 and my dear Lauri. Because when I was in her class you were required to attend specific performances for writing paper purposes. That semester I attended WOD, The Marriage of Figarro, and another straight play. 

I began to like attending things like this more and more, especially when I was working at the TMA office and you know, got free tickets. Nbd. It was really fun to go to plays when you knew who was directing it or who the stage manager was or what drama they had gone through to get the rights to the play, etc. Some of my favorite plays I have seen at BYU have been Elephant Man (amazing!), Merrily We Roll Along (awesome music), Peter Pan (WOW) and Dial M for Murder. I always had a hard time with plays in high school because I have some weird hyper-sensitivity to people being fake in general. This means that when an actor on stage isn't believable I just cringe the whole play. I can't pretend every actor/actress on BYU stages doesn't do this to me, but there is a bigger amount of them that don't make me cringe than I have previously experienced in my life. You follow that?

Oh and I also saw some AWESOME Commedia dell'arte during the lovely Thursday NELKE performances of directing classes. Of course these were directed by my dear ronnie Kiely Smith. She put on two in different semesters, and they were both hilarious. Seriously. Y'all should check that art form out. 

And then we come to Divine Comedy. Well this all started when my very first BYU friend Megan started working at the TMA office (yes, I in fact took her job when she went on a mission, then she took it back when she got back and I left for student teaching. Providence.) Megan got free tickets to the show so she started taking me. I remember my first one was a Best Of show in the JSB Auditorium and I was overwhelmed with the candy and the glowsticks. I thought it was hilarious even though I didn't get the Twilight references, having never seen it. But this began my love for Divine Comedy. I never missed a show. Except for when they had Best Of for Fall semesters every year at the same time as CAW. Thanks a lot. But they made up for it by the fact that my last show ever was also Matt Meese's last show ever. More providence. Seriously though, some awesome times were had at these shows. And then Megan went and became their stage manager! It was actually kind of awkward seeing them outside of their context and I only ever really talked to Adam. But it's cool. 

I guess I should also talk about Vocal Point in this portion of the blog post? I also love Vocal Point. But I think I'll talk about that more in a future post about knowing campus celebrities (that intrigues you...doesn't it?)

No comments: