Wednesday, June 6, 2012

2010: That one summer I spent at home

So I have referred a few times to the fact that for one strange summer I lived at home in Plain City. It really was random. I love living on my own a lotlotlot. And summers in P-town are like heaven! The wards are smaller and less intimidating, there are way more opportunities to party, the weather is gorgeous and Provo/campus is more beautiful than you've ever imagined, and the world seems at your fingertips.

But the summer before I did SPAC I randomly decided I should live at home that next summer. There were some factors that were probably sub-consciously at play. But really, it just was a random decision as far as I know.

So after SPAC off I went to live at home in a room made especially for me. You see, my bedroom is not still in my house. In fact I am currently writing this blog from my old room as it is now the computer room/study/sewing room. I have had brothers and sisters move back home with their children every so often so my room has been a lot of rooms since I graduated from high school long ago. When I was planning on going back my sister, her husband, and their four kids were also living at my house with my parents. So the downstairs family room was converted into a bedroom by putting some quick drywall up (maybe? I have no architectural knowledge) and there was my room. Complete with entertainment center, couch, and treadmill because really it still was kind of a family room. Just with a door and a bed and my clothes.

It wasn't long before I was not loving being at home with nothing to do. I never could find a job and after a while it was just fruitless to look because I would be back in Provo by mid-August. So I tried to run and did that every so often. I tried to read good books for me. I did read a lot of books, not all of them as intellectual or academic as I had originally intended though. I did run. A bit.

I did get pretty close to my sister Patti and her kids (even though I was already mondo tight with them because of my freshman year).

It was nice to be around and see some of my friends from home that I rarely/never saw when I was at BYU. I went to a lot of Monday night movies at the Ogden amphitheater, some better than others (like "This is It" was awesome and Hachi was....less so).

And I did remind myself of why I really appreciate living on my own. And so when I went back to BYU and Queens Arms I appreciated it even more. And since I was gone they could finally clean the carpet! And my landlord Reed could get rid of that couch he had been wanting to get rid of for years but I didn't want him to.

I wrote a blog post about it at the time as well.

No comments: