Wednesday, June 27, 2012

BYU dating: do you want the good news first?

So, as this post implies, there will be two sides to this BYU dating story. But we might as well start with the positives right? Because  I really am not this bitter BYU-man-hating woman, I had some great dating experiences at this place! So let's talk about them yes?

One thing about BYU that I heard about was RM's "preying" on freshmen. Now, this is something I never experienced but I imagine it is because I was not an easily identified freshman, as I lived in off-campus regular people housing. But I will be honest, it was pretty creepy at first to think that I would be going on dates with people that were at least 2-3 years older than me. I got over it pretty quick though. ... ;)

I'm pretty sure that my first BYU date was with a friend I knew from home, and I asked him. So it doesn't really count .

Now, my first BYU date with an RM (gasp!) was the next summer and let me tell you, I worked hard for that date. He was in my ward and I was pretty interested in him, we had had a class together and we had a study group together. And I even made him cookies! Anyone who knows me knows that I generally mock "cookie-making girls". Even though I have done it a few times. So you know. Take that as you will. Sadly this date didn't lead to anything. At all. Except to teach me how to treat a boy after you don't want another date. Which you know, is important to learn!

Other dates with awesome people included going to a folk dance show (little knowing that by the next year I would be the one on that team), going on picnics, going to plays on and off campus, going to dinner, going museum hopping on campus (which I had been wanting to do for ages! Thanks Jeff!), learning to take pictures with a fancy camera, a piano concert, improv comedy, Divine Comedy! And one awesome time, a boy made me dinner.

Seriously boys. Making dinner for girls is a great idea. And this was even a first date, but it wasn't creepy or over the top. It was just nice! It was flattering and really nice to think that someone wanted to do something for you. So you should do it.

So really I got to go on some seriously fun dates in my time at BYU. I must say, I still have a lot of dream dates that I would love to experience some day. But I'll tell you about those some other time. ;)

When it all comes down to it, dating at BYU couldn't have been that great because...well...you know...


No comments: