Thursday, February 2, 2012

By this shall men know.

God has given us many commandments. And these commandments seem to stress us out. One of the commandments oft brought up in the light of stress is "Be ye therefore perfect...". Obviously this is a difficult commandment as we are all imperfect beings. I am going to move on from this point even though I know that the discussion of this verse is incomplete and could take ages to fully address. But for my purposes. this verse is an example of a seemingly impossible commandment.

I found another commandment today. Another seemingly impossible commandment. "A new commandment that I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved  you..."

When speaking of Christ's love for us it is an unthinkable, unimaginable thing. Even though I don't understand the depth of his love I am to surely glad it is so deep.

And it is by the showing of this love, love in parallel to the love of Christ, that we are seen as His disciples.

This post surely isn't to discourage you. But to me  it is a reminder that there is always more depth that my love can explore and reach and attain. Just because you love someone or show your love to them, it doesn't mean you have reached love that is as pure and as deep as we are commanded to have. Like all commandments this isn't a check off on your to-do list but a system of development. That must be why those who work hard in marriage say their love for their spouse grows the longer they are married. This love is the way we become like Christ.

Or. Is it that as we become like Christ this love comes with it?

Or. Is it both?

2 comments:

潇潇 said...

It was lovely to read. :)

For me, one of the best parts of God's love is that He actually wants to live with us FOREVER. He prepared a place for each of us!(Ether 12:33)

You know, sometimes people looked at each other and wondered how come I am going to be with this man/woman FOREVER??? But if you think of God, to whom we have not even seen or known much; isn't it indeed a scary or crazy plan, according to the logic above?

However, knowing that He loves us and having faith in Him, we indeed felt His love even more. In my opinion, that's how we should deal with one another as well. Stop being panic/scared for what we don't know about each other; but to seek love and help everyone getting eternity.

That's what Jesus did; and,to me, it is what this life is about as well -- To LOVE. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.