Monday, December 19, 2011

Kim Jong Il: I can't help it.

So I can't help but be intensely fascinated by Kim Jong Il and his recent death. Seriously. Ask my coworkers I wouldn't shut up about it today.

I took a course a couple of years ago just about current events. It was probably one of THE best classes ever on campus. This class is also something I don't shut up about (especially the professor, Valerie Hudson who you can coincidentally read an article about in the Student Review. That's where I was going to be cool and give you a link but for some reason it is unfindable on the Student Review website). It was in this class that I first learned about North Korea and the incredible anomaly that it is in the world. Wow. One of the students in the class found this treasure with some fascinating facts about North Korea and the Dear Leader.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm chillaxin' in an AP World Civ class at Timpview High School, observing a teacher. She shows a documentary on North Korea made by National Geographic. The class didn't finish the video and I didn't go back the next class period. I was hooked so thankfully I found it online. Give it a watch, it's only 45 minutes and I swear to you, you will sure wish it was longer.

Then a couple of months later, there I am checking my news on Google Reader (ps I recently learned about RSS feeds, who forgot to tell me about that?) and there it was. Kim Jong Il has died. I immediately wanted to be happy but then I couldn't because I had no idea what would happen next. His son Kim Jong Un will succeed him and like everything else in North Korea, we know next to nothing.

HISTORY IS HAPPENING PEOPLE. This is fantastic. And it could be terrible. Real life is so much better than t.v.

If you want to know more about this. Go here. The New York Times has put together an assortment of articles, videos, and other materials for educators to teach their students. Oh man, if I was a history teacher today, all my lesson plans would have been abandoned to talk about this.

Alright. Current events binge over. At ease.

2 comments:

潇潇 said...

And the students are listening :)

Megan said...

Oh man, working with you today was such fun. I learned so much just sitting next to you. You are going to be a great teacher.