Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Little white girl from an intellectual family.


I have been encouraged to find three things that describe me culturally and reflect on them. Okay so it's a school assignment, that's encouragement right?



First we have one of my heavily highlighted textbooks. Anyone who knows me well knows that studying and learning is probably my favorite thing ever. I love nothing more than spending a Saturday morning studying. This has deep roots from my family and my upbringing. My grandfather, father, and all of my siblings are very interested in learning and learning was always a value very appreciated and endorsed in my home. This aspect of my life reflects very clearly in my priorities and not always in a good way. Even though I am usually praised in my scholastic achievements and hard work, I often put homework and studying in front of giving time to people and friends and that can be a  problem. 


Second, even though this is also a book, it is a representation of wit. I know, this sounds a little egotistical of me but I think a story will help you understand. Being the youngest of 8 children and a very headstrong person, I picked up quite a large vocabulary, and, according to my sister Patti, I used it correctly! In addition to my loquacity, I picked up a love for quick wit and intellectual banter from my siblings. I perfected this for many years, hoping my brothers and sisters would notice, but that affirmation didn't come until I was at least a teenager. I remember distinctly at a family gathering one day when one of my siblings said to me "Lynette! You're funny!" Since that time I have seen that as an attribute that I have and many people who know me know that I have a peculiar way of speaking and expressing myself, which stems from that wit and intellectual banter ingrained in me. The way I speak, write, and express myself has a lot to do with that. 

Finally, we have a picture (of a picture) of me dancing in a recent choreography project of a friend. Dance is an extremely important part of my life, and has had a large impact on my life in quite a few ways. Art is very important in my family, especially singing and playing the piano. All of my siblings sing and play the piano and I join them in doing that. However, even though I love music very much, it has always come fairly easy to me and didn't present enough challenge for my personality. I had to work hard to be a good dancer however, it is not a natural thing for my body. However, I have worked hard enough that it has started to become more natural, and that has given me an even greater appreciation for it. I have been able to participate in many kinds of dance from ballet to hip-hop to contemporary to folk dance, and my love for dance just increases with each genre I take on. Dancing is something that is nearly always on my mind, as soon as a song comes on, you'll see my eyes glaze over and you'll know that I'm choreographing.

1 comment:

潇潇 said...

I guess if I wanna dance better, I need to learn how to make my textbook looked like a piece of art first...:)