Tuesday, August 11, 2009

5 Seasons. 25 Dances. SYTYCD Countdown: Part I

It has recently been requested that I, Lynette Yorgason, a true fan since day 1 of So You Think You Can Dance, compile a list of the top 10 dances of all ever. Well that turned out to be impossible so the number was expanded to 25, be grateful I stopped there! I was gunning for 50 but I still have an education to keep up people!

And since it would probably be physically impossible for me to actually rank these and choose a number one (it's like choosing children people, dancing...children...), I'm going by Season.

Season 1

For those of you who have been watching with me since day 1 will remember, the first season was not about the choreography and much more about the dancers. So the Top 16 (yeah, there weren't even 20, wacky right?) were taught routines that were still tricky, but more about showing skills of the dancers than the choreographers. In fact, two different couples were given the same choreography for the first few weeks. I mean come on, hardly even the same show right? Anyway, the choreography became progressively cooler as the season went on, but in the wake of all the other masterpieces this show has created, the only one worth mentioning was from the Season Finale, choreographed by Mia Michaels (her amazing choreography is one thing about the show that has never changed) to Message in a Bottle by the Police and danced by Ashle Dawson and Melody Lacayanga.

Warning, the host of the show is yet another thing that changed, and if you remember Lauren Sanchez you will realize just why I love Cat so...so so much.



Now, Season 1 does deserve a couple of honorable mentions if only for the sole reason that I miss Alex Da Silva...a Latin choreographer that stopped choreographing for the show a few seasons back. However, this mambo and salsa, danced by the same couple the first two weeks of the first season rocked my socks for two reasons. One, Alex Da Silva, I just loved not only his music but his style, very cool and different. Second, Ryan Conferido, a rockin´awesome breaker who blew everyone away when he whipped out this smokin´samba on his first week in the show. So for you Ryan and Alex, I put the mambo and samba from season 1 as honorable mentions.



2 comments:

Shiree said...

Lauren Sanchez was annoying...

I am waiting for a little Jo Bros update, myself. Come on.

Lynette Yorgason said...

Really? I can do a Jo Bros update for sure. ;) I will have to post my concert experience soon.