Sunday, April 15, 2012

Daily Universe: Advertising?

So my very first semester of college I lived without a job and used my savings/my parents helped me out. But I got sick of that quickly. Those of you who know me know I can be fiercely independent. Sometimes detrimentally so.

Anyway, my BFF Jacob had been working at the Daily Universe in their classifieds department but he was thinking of leaving for another job with better pay. So when he did decide to take that job he brought me into to meet the advertising director Shayne Durrant and...basically I was hired. I don't think I even created a resume or anything.

So for the next year I worked in a small corner of room 160 of the Brimhall Building with Ethan and Nate, two very tall and married guys and little old me.

Now, this was an interesting experience for me for a two main reasons.

1. Ethan, Nate and I were the only ones in the room getting paid hourly. Everyone else was on commission. Aka I did a lot of homework at work when it was slow, which was pretty much always. And maybe. Just maybe. When it was really slow in the summer, Ethan and I almost had a Harry Potter marathon but our boss vetoed it. Dang.

2. I hate salespeople. So being in a room full of them every day was...well I got through. I was cordial with all the people that worked there. Okay I really didn't actually dislike any of them, they were all great and nice people. They're just not people I'd...talk to in real life? Or add on Facebook? You know what I'm saying?

However, I did get a lot of great dating advice from Ethan. I learned a tiny bit about accounting from weekly(ish) meetings with Ellen. I maybe crushed on various student accountants. I talked to some crazy people and I actually used one of the ads I placed once. Read on...

Funny story. This lady calls in to place an ad for a dance teacher. I take down her ad but decide against talking to her about me taking it on the phone. I feel like 1)it gives me an advantage and 2) then maybe she wouldn't even run her ad and we would lose money. Which actually, I personally wouldn't care about and I'd rather save her the money. However I think business ethics and different than my regular ethics? I don't know, I still get confused on that one. Anyway, so I email her my resume, etc., later and got the job.

So I taught at Charisma Studio in Springville for a whopping one semester. I taught ballet/tap combos a jazz class, and a musical theatre class. All for small children. I liked the studio a lot. I just don't love rooms full of small children and let's be honest, they don't love me back. Also, I started working at Charisma the same fall semester I was working Freshman Academy in 2009 so...it was kind of impossible. 20 hours at Freshman Academy then 10 hours at Charisma and 15 credit hours? Not my best idea.

No comments: